Before ‘Man Men’ January Jones Served Blizzards To Sioux Falls
Life is full of fun surprises, and you just never know who you will see or meet when you're out and about. Believe it or not, there are a few celebrities that come from humble Sioux Falls beginnings. The next time you encounter one might be at Dairy Queen!
Mad Men star January Jones is one of the most notable celebrities from Sioux Falls. Travel South Dakota says that January Jones was a straight-A student at Roosevelt High School while working at Dairy Queen. She is also the daughter of a gym teacher and a sporting goods store manager.
January is pretty proud of her hometown and her South Dakota roots. In fact, during the 35th season of Saturday Night Live, January hosted the late-night program, and the iconic show even highlighted her time at Dairy Queen.
This Saturday Night Live skit had January play an employee at Dairy Queen while the reporter (played by Kristen Wiig) is flirting with her. You can watch the sketch here:
Usually, Saturday Night Live hosts have input on the sketches they're in. You can't help but wonder if January contributed some ideas to this parody!
January Jones was born in Hecla, South Dakota, and grew up in Sioux Falls.
So the next time you're enjoying a delicious Dairy Queen Blizzard, think of January Jones' story. Who knows, that person serving up ice cream may be the next person from Sioux Falls to land a career in Hollywood?!
TRENDING FROM RESULTS-TOWNSQUARE MEDIA CHEYENNE:
- How to Let Our South Dakota Government Know What We Think
- Minnesota Building Largest Indoor Water Park In United States
- Not One, Not Two, But Three New Openings at Empire Mall
- 6 of South Dakota's Most Alluring and Mysterious Places
8 Celebrities You May to Run Into In South Dakota
Know Your South Dakota College and University Mascots
- What does it take to be a mascot?
- "Losing a bet or filling an opportunity!" Welch says, "An internal energized desire to love life. After meeting great performers who are introverts out of costume, they become the center of attention when they take the stage. And also feeding off the performance of others."
- Why does the mascot never talk?
- "Know your role and shut your mouth. You are there to entertain. Tell the story with your actions and not your voice."
- Advice to someone putting on that costume for the first time?
- "Remember you are now in a costume. Have fun. Otherwise, you're just a dork in tights. If the fur ain't flying you ain't trying."