What Was Happening in Sioux Falls the Year the Internet Came to Town?
It's hard to believe it has been three decades since the internet came into our lives. August 23, 2016 marks the 25 year anniversary of the beloved internet.
I remember people asking, "Do you really think this thing will catch on?"
I think it did.
Today there are over a billion websites.
But back in 1991, what was Sioux Falls talking about?
- Green Day performed a concert at the Nordic Hall. And they weren't even the headliner! That honor went to The Stench.
- Sioux Falls residents remember the famous Halloween Snowstorm of 1991 in which 12.1 inches of snow fell with high winds. Chances are, you weren’t pleased about the weather unless you were trick-or-treating dressed as an Iditarod musher.
- The non-profit housing ministry, Habitat Sioux Falls is born.
- Garth Brooks packed 7,644 fans in the Sioux Falls Arena on May 18th.
- In support of their Recycler tour ZZ Top also performs at the Sioux Falls Arena.
- The 1991 O' Gorman High School football team was described as "unstoppable" after compiling an 11 - 1 season and going on to win the South Dakota Class AA State Championship. Unbelievably, the Knights dealt a remarkable four shutouts in the playoffs which would become the only time in South Dakota High School Eleven-Man football history that has happened.
- Sports bars and living rooms were packed when Kirby Puckett and the Minnesota Twins won the World Series.
Fast forward a couple of decades and Results/Townsquare Media engineers load a trailer full of "fat-back" monitors opting for the new slim flat screens.
Who Is Ben Reifel And Why Is A Sioux Falls School Named After Him?
Sioux Falls has a new middle school named Ben Reifel Middle School. It just opened for the 2021 fall school year.
If you've traveled the east side of Sioux Falls you've probably noticed the progress in the school's construction. It is located at Faith Ave. on the cites east side just northeast of Harmodon Park off 41st Street.
Sioux Falls' newest middle school bears the name of Benjamin Reifel, also known as Lone Feather. So who is Ben Reifel?
The Coldest Temperatures in Sioux Falls History
When a polar vortex rolls through Sioux Falls, it can get even the heartiest dreaming of indoor fires, baking, and hot chocolate.
Mr. Bendo is tough enough but for the love of Pete, someone put a scarf on the Statue of David!
All this icy chatter had us wondering about the coldest days ever recorded in Sioux Falls. Here is the historical data from the National Weather Service with the coldest temps ever recorded in Sioux Falls since record-keeping began in 1893.