Top-8 All-Time Worst Snow Storms In South Dakota
Southeast South Dakota is getting yet another blast of winter ice, snow, and wind. Will this snowstorm rank up there with South Dakota's Top-8 All-Time Worst Snow Storms Of All time?
According to Only In Your State these are some of the Most Horrific Snow Storms in the History of South Dakota...
- January 12, 1888: The Schoolhouse Blizzard of 1888 claimed the lives of at least 235 people across the midwest including in South Dakota.
- May 3-4, 1905: Known as The Great Equalizer this blizzard dumped 3 to 4 feet of snow in parts of South Dakota. It was responsible for large livestock losses across the state. Some ranchers estimated losing as much as 90 percent of their herds of cattle and other livestock.
- January/February 1949: A snowstorm started on January 2nd, 1949 in South Dakota. It raged for days producing feet of snow and produced snowdrifts as high as 35 feet.
- March 2-5, 1966: This Blizzard dropped over 30 inches of snow and had winds clocked up to 70 miles per hour.
- March 29, 1981: This storm brought ice and 10 inches of snow to South Dakota. Big winds blew down more than 15,000 power poles across the state leaving thousands without electricity.
- April 25, 2008: 15 to 20 inches of snow fell in parts of South Dakota in this multi-day snow event.
- April 8-10, 2013: Deadwood, South Dakota received around 30 inches of snow.
- October 4-5, 2013: Heavy snow dropped all across South Dakota. Lead received 55 inches of snow in two days.
Scenes From Blizzard
A foot of snow in Sioux Falls!
Winds blowing that snow into nasty drifts!
That scene repeated all over the Sioux Empire. The BLizzard of February 2023 was a cold, snowy mess. AKA, just another South Dakota winter. We can handle it. It sucks, but we got this.
We asked to see your view of the storm, here's what you saw:
NEED TO KNOW - FROM RESULTS-TOWNSQUARE MEDIA SIOUX FALLS
- Where to Find Sioux Falls Winter Weather Info, Snow Alerts, and Road Reports
- How Long Do You Have to Shovel after a Major Snowfall in Sioux Falls?
- What Happens if a Sioux Falls City Plow Knocks down Your Mailbox?
- Got Mail Sioux Falls? If the Answer Is No, Shovel around Your Mailbox
- Sioux Falls Ends the Storm with a Foot of Snow